During what would have been the American Numismatic Association’s (ANA) annual Summer Seminar event – June 29-July 10, the Association will instead offer free virtual courses through its new ANA eLearning Academy. Eleven courses that would have been offered during the week-long Summer Seminar will be offered in a condensed one- to two-hour online format.
Courses are open to both ANA members and non-members; there is no charge to participate but preregistration is required.
Summer Seminar is a once-a-year opportunity that offers collectors a varied selection of week-long courses designed for discovery or continued study. COVID-19 forced the cancellation of the 2020 event – the first time in the program’s 50-plus year history. Although these online classes are not a replacement for Summer Seminar, they provide a sampling of select courses offered during the popular summer event.
ANA eLearning Academy courses during this block include:
- Grading 101
- June 30, 11 a.m. MDT
- Detection of Counterfeit and Altered Coins
- July 2, 12 p.m. MDT
- Introduction to Early U.S. Paper Currency: 1765-1865
- July 6, 12 p.m. MDT
- Understanding the Art of Rare Coin Submissions
- July 6, 2:30 p.m.
- The Modern Minting Process: Errors and Varieties
- July 7, 12 p.m. MDT
- Collecting and Investing in Morgan Dollars: A Comprehensive Approach
- July 8, 12 p.m. MDT
- Mexican Voices in Metal and Paper
- July 9, 1 p.m. MDT
- Creating a Great Club Newsletter
- July 10, 11 a.m. MDT
- Young Collectors Panel
- June 29, 12:30 p.m. MDT
- CAC and its “Green Beans”
- July 1, 1 p.m. MDT
- Italian Numismatics: Insights Through Modern History
- July 3, 10 a.m. MDT
After this first round of courses, the ANA eLearning Academy will continue to offer two to three classes each month to the collecting community. Class topics are designed to appeal to a range of collectors – from beginners to advanced numismatists.