If you have ever been curious about the behind-the-scenes work of managing one of the largest numismatic and medallic collections in the world, give the latest Pocket Change blog post a read from the American Numismatic Society (ANS). The post is an interview with the ANS’ own Dr. Elena Stolyarik, Collections Manager for the Society. In the lengthy interview, Dr. Stolyarik discusses the processes and methods she uses to manage the collection as well as how the Society receives and processes new acquisitions or donations.
Dr. Elena Stolyarik, Collections Manager at the American Numismatic Society, has held nearly every single one of the Society’s over 800,000 objects. As a critical member of the curatorial staff, the Collections Manager diligently maintains the Society’s vast, encyclopedic holdings of coins and currency, medals and money—all behind the scenes. Dr. Stolyarik’s background in museological, archaeological, and numismatic methods gives her a unique perspective on the purpose and function of the ANS. Prior to coming to the ANS in 1994, she led the Numismatic Department at the Odessa Archaeological Museum, excavated at Tyras on the Black Sea, and was a research associate at the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. In an interview at the Society’s headquarters in New York City, Dr. Stolyarik and Assistant Director Austin Goodwin Andrews discussed her work and the particularities of the Society and its holdings.American Numismatic Society Pocket Change Blog
While a reasonably lengthy read, the interview gives fantastic insights into the interworking of the Society as well as how to manage a collection as vast as the ANS’. Even if you are not a member of the ANS, you can read the article as it is available at the length above to the general public.
If you are not a member of the American Numismatic Society, now is a great time to consider joining. The Society is currently hosting a mid-year appeal for donations as it prepares to re-open its New York offices to the public. You can find out more about it here. If you want to become a full member, check out the Membership Page where you can join. Memberships come with a host of benefits including:
- Members only virtual lectures and weekly discussions
- Subscription to the award-winning ANS Magazine
- 30% off on all ANS publications
- Free access to the ANS Collection and Library
- Discount on a subscription to the Journal of Early American Numismatics The Journal of Early American Numismatics (JEAN) is a biannual journal dedicated to the study of early American numismatics, focusing on coinage and other species from the Colonial and Confederation periods of the US, plus early numismatics from the Americas.
- Discounted subscription to the American Journal of Numismatics The American Journal of Numismatics (AJN) annually publishes original research in all areas of numismatics, in the form of articles or short notes, as well as book reviews.
- E-news subscription with information about current developments in numismatics and events at the ANS
- Invitations to special events and lectures by renowned numismatists and scholars
- Special acknowledgement of long-term members
Editors Note: Clinton, the Editor and Owner of USCoinNews.com, is a member of the American Numismatic Society