The first products of the new year are set to go on sale later this week. The 2022 Negro Leagues Baseball commemorative coins and sets will be available, at a discounted price, starting on January 6, 2022 at Noon Eastern, 9:00 AM Pacific. In all, the Mint will be releasing nine distinct products in the series of coins ranging from clad half dollars to $5 gold coins.
The Negro Leagues of baseball was founded in 1920 in response to players of color not being allowed to play in the Major Leagues of Baseball. The league produced some of the greatest baseball players in history including Satchel Paige, Roy Campanella, Don Newcombe, and of course Jackie Robinson. Robinson became the first player of color in 1947 to play in the Major Leagues. The Negro Leagues continued until 1960 which, by that point, MLB had nearly fully integrated. In December 2020, the leagues were recognized as a Major League of baseball, meaning all of the stats and records of the Negro Leagues will now be part of Major League Baseball’s stats and records. Previously, they were separate.
You can see the line art for the coins here on USCoinNews.
The law authorizing the 2022 Negro Leagues Baseball commemorative coins was sign in December 2020.
Here is a listing of the coins and sets that will be available. At the time of this article, the Mint has not released all of the pricing. Those final prices will be available on the release date.
- $5 Gold Proof Coin (50,000 mintage limit across all products) – TBD
- Half Dollar Proof Clad (400,000 mintage limit across all products) – $35.00
- Dollar Silver Proof (400,000 mintage limit across all products) – $74.00
- Proof Silver Dollar Coin and Jackie Robinson Silver Medal Set (15,000 production limit) – $135.00
- Proof Silver Dollar with 100th Anniversary Privy Mark (20,000 production limit) – $85.00
- Three-Coin Proof Set (5,000 production limit) – TBD
- $5 Gold Uncirculated Coin (50,000 mintage limit across all products) – TBD
- Half Dollar Uncirculated Clad (400,000 mintage limit across all products) – $33.00
- Dollar Silver Uncirculated (400,000 mintage limit across all products) – $69.00
These series of coins have been anticipated by collectors so demand is expected to be high for all of the products. Given the affordability of the silver Dollar and clad Half Dollar coins, those likely will be the first to sell out. Readers are strongly encouraged to be on the Mint’s website at Noon Eastern on January 6th at attempt to buy any of these coins and sets for their collections.