July 16, 2019 marks the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing and NGC plans to give collectors a special way to commemorate the event. From July 16 through July 24, collectors who send their Apollo 11 commemorative silver bullion coin to the company for grading, will have the option to get a special label and holder for the coin. The special designation is an additional $5 on top of the normal grading fees.
Apollo 11-themed coins submitted to NGC’s Florida headquarters between July 16 and July 24, 2019, are eligible for a special designation of Moon Mission Releases as well as a special label showing an iconic depiction of an astronaut with an American flag on the lunar surface. Coins with the Moon Mission Releases designation will be listed separately in the NGC Census. The exclusive designation and label are available for an additional fee of $5 per coin.NGC Press Release
The special designation and label is available for all Apollo 11 related coins from the United States Mint. This includes:
- 2019 Proof Silver Dollar
- 2019 Proof $5 Gold Coin
- 2019 Five Ounce Proof Silver Dollar
- 2019 Uncirculated $5 Gold Coin
- 2019 Proof Clad Half Dollar
- 2019 Uncirculated Silver Dollar
NGC is very clear on the details of how to assure your coins get these special holders and labels
- Submit qualifying coins under the Modern grading tier or higher.
- To request the special Moon Mission Releases designation and label, you must write Moon Mission Releases on your submission form.
- Submissions may arrive before July 16, 2019, but submissions must arrive by July 24, 2019. Submissions received after July 24, 2019, will not be eligible for the Moon Mission Releases designation or label.
- First Day of Issue, First Releases and Early Releases designations are not available in conjunction with the Moon Mission Releases designation.
- Coins already in NGC holders can be submitted through NGC’s ReHolder service ($10, plus $5 for the special designation and label). Please note that the Moon Mission Releases designation will replace a previous designation, such as First Day of Issue, First Releases or Early Releases.